The UVA Library StatLab provides free statistics consulting and training to students, instructors, faculty, and staff of the University of Virginia. We can help with the following:
- Statistical planning and sample size estimates
- Cleaning and wrangling data
- Selecting an appropriate statistical method
- Implementing and interpreting a statistical analysis
- Data visualization (ie, plotting or graphing)
- One-on-one training on statistical software
- Debugging or resolving issues with statistical software
To set up an appointment, email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. We can work with you in person, over Zoom, or via email.
To help us help you, please describe your research goals and/or any specific questions you have. Keep in mind that it may take a few meetings to completely address certain questions.
Fall 2023 Walk-in Consulting Hours
Drop in for help with study design, statistics, data wrangling, or visualization.
- Tuesdays, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Wednesdays, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Thursdays, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
The StatLab office is in the Brown Science and Engineering Library in Clark Hall. Go into Clark, though the Mural Room, into the library, and take a right at the circulation desk. The office is in the west wing reading room, second door on the right, room 153.
We are most comfortable working in R, Stata, SPSS, SAS, and to a lesser extent, Python. Some of our Research Data Service colleagues have expertise in Tableau, Qualtrics, and Dedoose.
If you have found StatLab useful to your research, we hope you’ll acknowledge us in your work.
If you need tutoring for a statistics class, the UVA Statistics department maintains a list of tutors.
You may also be interested in:
- Our data discovery services, for support finding and understanding existing data sources.
- Our Research data management services, for support reviewing data management plans, selecting appropriate active data storage, choosing a repository, and preparing research data for end-of-project archiving.
- LibraData, UVA’s instance of Dataverse, where you can discover (and deposit) UVA datasets and other scholarly data. To learn more, contact email@example.com or visit library.virginia.edu/libra/datasets.
- Subscribe to our monthly Research Data Services newsletter to learn about new resources.